Major in Political Science
Degree Program Hours: 120
The major in Political Science provides a broad education that will equip students for a wide variety of careers. The program for majors is designed to
- Encourage analysis of political theories, institutions, and processes within the broader context of the social sciences
- Increase appreciation of political science as a discipline
- Develop a continuing and responsible interest in political participation and public affairs
- Provide the opportunity to acquire a fundamental understanding of political science as a basis for citizenship, a career in government, or professional study and service
- Stimulate interest in graduate studies in various fields and disciplines.
The curriculum is designed to not only expose students to the various areas of Political Science but also to allow reasonable specialization. Students are encouraged to create a blend of courses that fits their interests and they should work with the Political Science undergraduate advisor in selecting courses.
To qualify for admission to the program, FIU undergraduates must have met all the lower division requirements including CLAS, 60 semester hours, and a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average.